Fall and winter vegetables are having their moment in the sun – dark leafy greens are some of the best seasonal picks at the farmer’s market. Chop up your favorites like chard, kale, collards and spinach and enjoy a nourishing bowl full of this easy Wilted Greens, Beans & Meatball Stew.
- 2 tbsp. Olive Oil
- ½ c. Chopped Onion
- ¼ c. Chopped Celery
- ¼ c. Chopped Carrot
- 8 oz. Sliced Button Mushrooms
- 6 c. Beef Broth
- 1 15oz. can Great Northern Beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tbsp. Worcestershire Sauce
- 2 tbsp. Fresh Lemon Juice
- 1 tbsp. Litehouse® Freeze Dried Garlic
- 1 tbsp. Litehouse® Freeze Dried Parsley
- 1 tbsp. Litehouse® Freeze Dried Chives
- 1 ½ tsp. Litehouse® Freeze Dried Thyme
- 1 tsp. Fresh Ground Black Pepper
- 1 Parmesan Rind, dry end from wedge optional
- 8 c. Coarsely Chopped Mixed Winter Greens (spinach, kale, collards, chard, etc.)
- 24 Pre-Cooked “Mini” or “Party Size” Lean Beef Meatballs
- Garnish: Shaved Parmesan Cheese, if desired
- In 6-quart Dutch oven or stock pot, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onion, celery, carrot and mushroom and sauté for 3 to 4 minutes, or until softened and lightly caramelized.
- Add broth and bring to a boil over medium heat. Add beans, Worcestershire sauce, lemon juice, garlic, parsley, chives, thyme, pepper, and parmesan rind. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add one half of mixed winter greens to pot; stir for 2 to 3 minutes to allow leaves to “wilt” down thus providing room for remaining greens. Add remaining greens and continue to stir and cook down for approximately 2 minutes.
- Cover pot with lid and keep heat on low. Reheat meatballs according to manufacturer’s instructions in microwave or oven. When reheated, drain on paper towels, if needed, and add to stew. Use a spoon to remove any remnant of the parmesan rind.
- To serve, ladle among four bowls and top with shaved parmesan cheese if desired.