Create a flavorful fall ice cream using the Limited-Edition Pumpkin Spice Caramel dip from Litehouse and crisp pecans in a homemade vanilla bean ice cream.
- 1 cup whole milk
- ¼ cup sugar
- Pinch of kosher salt
- 1/2 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
- 5 large egg yolks
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 ½ cups heavy cream
- ½ cup toasted pecans
- ½ cup Litehouse Pumpkin Spice Caramel dip
- Combine the cream, milk, sugar, and salt in a medium saucepan. Scrape in seeds from vanilla bean and add pod or add vanilla extract. Bring mixture just to a simmer, stirring to dissolve sugar. Remove from heat. If using vanilla bean, cover; let sit 30 minutes.
- Whisk egg yolks and sugar in a medium bowl until pale, about 2 minutes. Gradually whisk in ½ cup warm cream mixture. Whisk yolk mixture into remaining cream mixture. Cook mixture over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thick enough to coat a wooden spoon, 2–3 minutes.
- Strain custard into a medium bowl set over a bowl of ice water and let cool, stirring occasionally. Process custard in an ice cream maker according to manufacturer’s instructions, adding in the pecans towards the end of the cycle.
- Transfer the ice cream to an airtight container. Drop the caramel by spoonfuls into the ice cream and use a knife to swirl into the mixture; cover. Freeze until firm, at least 4 hours and up to 1 week.