Forgo the traditional cornbread and try this new take on a lifelong favorite.
- 1 c. All-Purpose Flour
- 1 c. Yellow Cornmeal
- ½ c. Sugar
- 1 tsp. Salt
- 3 ½ tbsp. Baking Powder
- 1 c. Milk
- 1/3 c. Olive Oil
- 1 Egg
For roasted corn:
- 6 Ears of Corn, husked and de-silked
- 1 tbsp. Olive Oil
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- 8 to 10 c. Lettuce or Lettuce Blend of choice
- 1 pt. Grape or Cherry Tomatoes, halved
- 14 slices Thick Hardwood-Smoked Bacon, cooked
- 2/3 c. Litehouse® Homestyle Ranch Dressing
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Add flour, cornmeal, sugar, salt and baking powder in large bowl, mix to combine.
- In 2-cup capacity glass mixing cup, measure out milk and oil. Add egg into mixture, whisk to combine.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients, stir with spatula until combined.
- Add to a 9”x 9” baking dish that has been coated in cooking spray. Bake at 400° for 20 minutes or until turning golden brown on top and toothpick pulls clean from center. Remove from oven, let cool 5 minutes. Keep oven on for crouton making.
- Croutons: Cut cornbread into approximately 1” x 1” cubes (does not have to be precise). The easiest way to do this is to cut cornbread into 4 large squares. Remove one large square at a time and slice in have crosswise to make a top and a bottom. Restack slices and slice into 4 rows each direction. Repeat with remaining cornbread. Place on rimmed baking sheet and toast in oven for approximately 8 minutes or until turning golden brown and crispy on edges (will still be soft in middle).
- Roasted Corn: Drizzle corn with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Place corn on rimmed baking sheet and bake at 400 F degrees for approximately 12 to 15 minutes. It is convenient to do this at the same time of initial cornbread baking. Let cool for 5 minutes and use sharp knife to shear kernels off cob.
- Salad: To serve layered, add cornbread croutons to bottom of bowl. Next add lettuce, tomatoes, corn and bacon. Top with a big dollop of Ranch Dressing. Or, salad may be tossed by mixing Ranch Dressing thoroughly with all ingredients except cornbread and then gently tossing with cornbread.