Don’t go crazy looking for last-minute holiday gifts, go couscous! I have a festive and vegetarian-friendly make-ahead mix that can be layered beautifully into glass jars. A frugal and eco-friendly tip is to use a repurposed Litehouse dressing jar for these gourmet food gifts.
- 3 recycled 11-ounce Litehouse Dressing Jars
- Gift Tags
- 1 tbsp. Litehouse® Freeze Dried Mint
- 1 tbsp. Litehouse® Freeze Dried Parsley
- 2 tbsp. Litehosue® Freeze Dried Red Onion
- 2 Vegetable Bouillon Cubes, smashed into powder
- 1 tsp. Black Pepper
- 1 1/2 c. Whole Wheat Pearl (Israeli) Couscous
- 1 1/2 c. Regular Pearl (Israeli) Couscous
- 1 c. Raw Shelled Pistachios (can sub any nut)
- 1 c. Dried Cranberries Pomegranate Blend (can sub any dried fruit)
- In small bowl, mix together mint, parsley, red onion, crushed vegetable bullion and pepper.
- Pour approximately 2 tablespoons of spice mix into the bottom of clean, dry jar. Repeat for total of 3 jars. Layer in ingredients in a manner that pleases you until ½-inch from top. The approximate measurements I used for my layers were 1/3 cup for each couscous layer and 3 tablespoons for each fruit and/or nut layer.
- Screw lid tightly on and decorate with ribbon. Makes 3 gift jars that serve 2 - 3 people each. Cooking directions above in post.