Grilled onions take this beer cheese dip to the next level. Smoky/sweet onions + cheddar + blue cheese + beer = a melty, cheesy, perfect appetizer! Perfect for Father’s Day & summer entertaining. Don’t forget the chips!
- 1 yellow onion, sliced into rings
- Oil for brushing
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2/3 cup Alaskan Amber Ale
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup Litehouse® Blue Cheese Crumbles + more for topping
- Optional: 1/2 tsp dijon mustard
- Preheat grill to medium. Slice onion into rings and brush with oil on both sides. Grill on each side for about 5 minutes, until slightly charred and fork tender.
- In a blender, combine grilled onions and milk. Pulse just for a few seconds until the onions are incorporated. (Note: if you blend for too long, the milk will start to separate. This step is just to chop up the onions.)
- Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add flour and whisk well until it forms a thick paste. Whisk in the milk/onion mixture, whisking until thickened (about 1-2 minutes).
- Add in beer, salt and both cheeses. Whisk well until cheese is melted and fully incorporated.
- Remove from heat and pour into serving dish. Top with more blue cheese crumbles and serve with chips, soft pretzels, etc.