These buttery shortbread cookies are flavored with bright lemon zest and Litehouse® Freeze Dried Basil for a cookie that’s sweet, light and so satisfying! They’re easy to make with just seven basic ingredients and can be made into just about any shape.
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon Litehouse® Freeze Dried Basil
- Zest of two lemons
- ¾ cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 ¾ cup Bob’s Red Mill® All Purpose Flour
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Add sugar, basil and lemon zest to a small food processor and pulse until well mixed.
- Set aside ½ cup of the infused sugar for topping the cookies.
- Add softened butter to a stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment and cream until light and fluffy. Add the remaining ½ cup sugar and salt and continue mixing until fluffy, about 2 minutes. Scrape down the bowl once or twice to make sure the ingredients are evenly incorporated.
- In a large bowl, stir together the flour and cornstarch. Add the flour mixture to stand mixer in two additions, mixing at low speed until just combined.
- Transfer the dough to a clean work surface and knead until it comes together. Press the dough into a rectangle, then wrap tightly in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 325˚F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Remove the dough from the refrigerator and transfer to a clean work surface. Place parchment paper on top and roll dough into a large rectangle, about ½ inch thick. Use cookie cutters to cut into cookies.
- Place remaining ½ cup lemon basil sugar in a shallow bowl or plate. Press the top of each cookie in the sugar, then transfer to baking sheet with 1 inch of space between each cookie.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes, rotating halfway through. Remove from oven and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.