Freezer cooking comes to the rescue in these first few weeks of school! Send the kids off with a hot and hearty breakfast in their bellies, all that is required is a quick zap in the microwave! Let this Apple and Sausage Breakfast Cornbread become your new favorite freezer friendly breakfast!
- 1 lb. Turkey Sausage
- 2 Granny Smith Apples, peeled cored and chopped
- 1 tsp. Litehouse® Freeze Dried Sage
- 1 tsp. Litehouse® Freeze Dried Thyme
- 3 c. Flour
- 1 c. Yellow Cornmeal
- 1/4 c. Sugar
- 2 tbsp. Baking Powder
- 2 tsp. Salt
- 1/2 tsp. Pepper
- 2 c. Buttermilk
- 3 Eggs
- 1/2 c. Applesauce or Melted Butter
- 1 c. Shredded Extra Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and spray a 9x13 in pan with non stick baking spray.
- Cook the sausage, apples, sage, and thyme in a pan over medium high heat until sausage is cooked through and all liquid has evaporated.
- In a large bowl whisk together the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, salt, and pepper. In a smaller bowl whisk together the buttermilk, eggs, and applesauce.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and gently stir until almost combined.
- Add the sausage mixture and complete the stirring until all ingredients are moist. Be careful not to over mix!
- Pour the cornbread batter into the prepared dish. Sprinkle the cheese on top and bake 35 minutes.
- Test for doneness by inserting a knife or toothpick into the center. If it comes out clean it's done!
- Cut into squares and serve.
To Freeze: Allow cornbread squares to cool. Place squares on a baking sheet and flash freeze for 1-2 hours. Place frozen squares in a large freezer bag and seal. Simply heat cornbread in the microwave for 2-3 minutes when ready to devour!