Freezer cooking comes to the rescue in these first few weeks of school! Send the kids off with a hot and hearty breakfast in their bellies, all that is required is a quick zap in the microwave! Let this Apple and Sausage Breakfast Cornbread become your new favorite freezer friendly breakfast!
1 lb bulk turkey sausage,
2 granny smith apples peeled cored and chopped,
1 tsp Instantly Fresh Sage,
1 tsp Instantly Fresh Thyme,
3 c flour,
1 c yellow cornmeal,
1/4 c sugar,
2 Tbsp baking powder,
2 tsp salt,
1/2 tsp pepper,
2 c buttermilk,
1/2 c applesauce or melted butter,
1 c shredded extra sharp cheddar cheese,
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and spray a 9x13 in pan with non stick baking spray.
2. Cook the sausage, apples, sage, and thyme in a pan over medium high heat until sausage is cooked through and all liquid has evaporated.
3. In a large bowl whisk together the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, salt, and pepper.
In a smaller bowl whisk together the buttermilk, eggs, and applesauce.
4. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and gently stir until almost combined.
5. Add the sausage mixture and complete the stirring until all ingredients are moist. Be careful not to over mix!
6. Pour the cornbread batter into the prepared dish.
Sprinkle the cheese on top and bake 35 minutes.
7. Test for doneness by inserting a knife or toothpick into the center. If it comes out clean it's done!
8. Cut into squares and serve.
To Freeze: Allow cornbread squares to cool. Place squares on a baking sheet and flash freeze for 1-2 hours. Place frozen squares in a large freezer bag and seal. Simply heat cornbread in the microwave for 2-3 minutes when ready to devour!