Celebrate Earth Day 2014 with this beautiful berry salad, a delicious dish that can be served as a side or stand alone as a light entrée boosted by the protein found in quinoa. Also, find out which fruits and vegetables are best bought “organic” versus “regular” and why you should always wash your produce.
1 cup red quinoa,
2 cups water,
½ teaspoon salt,
1 pint organic strawberries,
½ pint organic blueberries,
½ pint organic raspberries,
3 Tbsp Litehouse Food’s Instantly Fresh Red Onion,
2 Tbsp Litehouse Food’s Instantly Fresh Jalapeno,
½ cup Litehouse Food’s Organic Raspberry Lime Vinaigrette,
2 ounces Litehouse Food’s Feta Cheese Crumbles,
1. Add quinoa, water and salt in medium pot, bring to boil. Cover and let simmer for 15 – 20 minutes, or until all water is absorbed.
Spread out cooked quinoa on baking sheet and set in refrigerator for 15 minutes for quick cooling.
2. Meanwhile, wash, drain and dry berries. Chop strawberries and cut blackberries in half if they are large.
3. In large bowl, add cooled quinoa, berries, red onion, jalapeno and dressing; stir to combine.
4. Serve sprinkled with feta cheese.
5. Leftovers may be stored in the refrigerator for 2 – 3 days.