Litehouse Instantly Fresh Salad Blend is not just for salads. Try it in soups as well, such as this Shrimp Gumbo and Rice. This blend of herbs and shallots adds a kick of the flavor to hot foods.
½ cup vegetable oil,
½ cup unbleached flour,
1 ½ pound raw frozen shrimp cleaned and deveined,
2 quarts seafood stock,
½ cup diced celery,
½ cup diced green pepper,
1 cup diced onion,
1 14-ounce cans whole tomatoes,
1 Tbsp. Kosher salt,
1/2 tsp. white pepper,
1 tsp. thyme,
3 bay leaves,
1 Tbsp. gumbo file powder (ground sassafras leaves),
½ teaspoon Liquid Smoke,
1 tablespoon Litehouse Instantly Fresh Salad Herb Blend,
1 teaspoon Litehouse Instantly Fresh Jalapenos (optional),
Rice (4 servings),
2 cups white rice,
1 Tbsp. olive oil,
4 cups water,
1 tsp. salt,
2 tablespoons Litehouse Instantly Fresh Chives plus more for garnish,
Directions: Shrimp Gumbo,
1. Heat vegetable oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add flour to pan and stir oil and flour consistently until flour becomes milk chocolate brown. The mixture should be similar to paste. Remove pan from heat and set aside.
2. Pour seafood stock into soup pot. Add roux and bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer the stock and roux. Stir the roux until lumps disappear.
3. Add vegetables along with salt pepper and spices and Litehouse Instantly Fresh Salad Herb Blend. Add file powder.
4. Cover and simmer gumbo for 45 minutes. Stir occasionally until liquid begins to thicken.
5. Add Liquid Smoke and frozen shrimp. Cook for three additional minutes or until shrimp turns pink and begins to curl.
Directions: Rice with Chives
1. Rinse rice (if purchased in bulk). Otherwise, place rice in 3-quart pot with water and oil and salt. Bring water to boil and immediately turn heat to low and place tight-fitting lid on pot. Steam rice for 25 minutes.
2. When rice is done, place rice in serving bowl and stir in Litehouse Instantly Fresh Chives.
3. Garnish rice in bowls with a sprinkling of Litehouse Instantly Fresh Herbs