Tropical flavors come together in a quick and easy chicken marinade that will bring deliciously grilled chicken to your summer plate.
1/3 cup ketchup
1/3 cup packed dark brown sugar
1/3 cup low-sodium soy sauce
1/4 cup pineapple juice
4 tablespoons olive oil, divided, plus more for brushing grill
1 1/2 tablespoons rice vinegar
4 teaspoons Instantly Fresh Garlic
1 tablespoon Instantly Fresh Ginger
1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 3/4 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast, chopped into 1 1/4-inch cubes
3 cups fresh cubed pineapple
1 1/2 large green peppers, diced into 1 1/4-inch pieces
1 large red onion, diced into 1 1/4-inch pieces
For the coleslaw:
1 (14 oz.) package coleslaw mix
1 cup diced red pepper
1 cup diced pineapple
½ cup slivered almonds
½ cup Litehouse Coleslaw dressing
1. In a mixing bowl whisk together ketchup, brown sugar, soy sauce, pineapple juice, 2 tablespoons olive oil, rice vinegar, garlic, ginger and sesame oil. Stir in 3/4 teaspoons pepper and season with salt if desired.
2. Place chicken in a gallon size resealable bag. Reserve 1/2 cup of the marinade in refrigerator then pour remaining marinade over chicken. Seal bag and refrigerate 1 - 2 hours (meanwhile soak 10 wooden skewer sticks in water for 1 hour).
3. While the chicken marinates, prepare the coleslaw. Toss together all ingredients for coleslaw in a medium bowl and refrigerate until ready to serve.
4. Preheat a grill over medium heat to 400 degrees. Meanwhile, drizzle remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil over red onion, bell pepper and pineapple and toss. Season red onion and bell pepper with salt and pepper, then thread red onion, bell pepper, pineapple and chicken onto skewers until all of the chicken has been used.
5. Brush grill grates with olive oil then place skewers on grill. Grill 5 minutes then brush along tops with 1/4 cup of remaining marinade. Rotate to opposite side and brush remaining 1/4 cup of marinade on opposite side and allow to grill about 4 minutes longer, or until chicken registers 165 degrees in center on an instant read thermometer.
6. Serve warm with coleslaw.