Don’t let the strange, spiny silhouette of a fresh artichoke intimidate you. The slightly sweet, slightly nutty flesh is easier to prepare than most assume. My Caesar Slow Cooker Artichokes prove that sometimes slower is faster!
3 medium artichokes
3 lemons (divided)
1 ½ cups chicken broth
1 cup white wine or cooking wine
1 Tbsp. Litehouse® Instantly Fresh Garlic
1 bay leaf
2/3 cup shaved or grated Parmesan cheese
½ cup garlic crouton crushed into crumbs
4 – 6 oz. Litehouse® Organic Caesar Dressing
1. Prepare artichokes by first washing under water and shaking dry.
2. Next, cut off stems and remove small lower leaves with paring knife.
3. With larger knife, cut ½” off the top of artichokes to remove the prickly spines.
4. Use kitchen shears to snip off remaining spines on lower leaves.
5. Cut one lemon in half and rub on exposed areas of artichoke to prevent oxidization.
6. Pour broth, wine, garlic and bay leaf into bottom of 4 quart slow cooker.
7. Place artichokes, bottom side down into slow cooker.
8. Cut second lemon into slices and place a slice on top of each artichoke.
9. Add remaining slices of that lemon to the broth mixture.
10. Put lid on slow cooker and cook on high for approximately 3 hours, or until softened and leaves pull off easily.
11. Transfer artichokes from liquid to serving platter.
12. While still hot, gently squeeze to pull apart leaves and stuff with bits of Parmesan cheese and crouton crumbs.
13. Sprinkle remaining cheese and crumbs on tops of artichokes.
14. Drizzle artichokes with Litehouse® Organic Caesar Dressing and serve with third lemon that has been cut up into wedges.