This complete salad is perfect for a main course, is loaded with Middle Eastern flavors and is easily customizable to whatever is in your fridge or pantry!
For the falafel:
- 1 cup canned chickpeas
- 1/2 large onion, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon dried hot red pepper
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 4 tablespoons flour
For the Tabbouleh salad
- ¼ cup bulgur
- ½ cup chopped tomatoes
- ½ cup chopped cucumbers
- ¼ cup chopped green onion
- ½ cup chopped flat leaf parsley
- ¼ cup chopped mint leaves
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 4 cups spring mix
- 1 cup diced tomatoes
- 1 cup diced cucumbers
- ½ cup sliced red onions
- 1 cup kalamata olives
- Litehouse Red Wine and Olive Oil dressing
- Litehouse Simply Artisan Reserve Feta Cheese Crumbles
- Naan bread, for serving
- Place the drained, uncooked chickpeas and the onions in the bowl of a food processor fitted with a steel blade. Add the parsley, cilantro, salt, hot pepper, garlic, and cumin. Process until blended but not pureed.
- Sprinkle in the baking powder and 4 tablespoons of the flour, and pulse. You want to add enough flour so that the dough forms a small ball and no longer sticks to your hands. Turn into a bowl and refrigerate, covered, for several hours.
- Form the chickpea mixture into balls about the size of ping pong balls. Flatten the balls onto a baking sheet sprayed with cooking spray or drizzled with olive oil. Bake falafel at 375 degrees F for 25-30 minutes, flipping halfway through.
- Prepare the tabbouleh salad by rinsing the bulgur and placing it into a bowl. Cover the bulgur with boiling water, cover and let stand for 30 minutes. Drain and then return to the bowl. Add in remaining ingredients, tossing to coat. Allow the tabbouleh to set for at least 30 minutes.
- Divide the salad, tomatoes, cucumber, kalamata olives, red onions between 4 bowls. Toss with salad dressing and then top with falafel patties and crumbled feta cheese. Serve immediately.