Brighten up your brunch or holiday dinner with a medley of fresh fruit, like our Festive Fruit Salad featuring a sweet assortment of the season’s best produce. Family and friends rave about this simple side dish, that comes together in minutes and is dressed for the special occasion in lightly sweet-tangy Poppyseed Dressing from Litehouse.
While the summer’s best berries and melons may have disappeared from the market, there are still plenty of colorful, delicious fruits in season to create a winter fruit salad. Farm-fresh produce picks in the late fall and winter include apples, pears, pomegranates, and citrus fruits, which are all included in this Festive Fruit Salad – along with bananas, red grapes and kiwi which are typically found year-round as imports from warmer climates.
Preparation is easy-peasy, and children of nearly every age can help – preschoolers can pick grapes off the bunch and remove peel from Clementines with their little fingers while pre-teens comfortable using a knife can pare and slice up the apples, pears and kiwi. For convenience and less mess-making, I prefer to use pomegranate arils from a tub rather than extracting them from the fruit itself.
This Festive Fruit Salad can be made an hour or two before serving time; simply store it pre-dressed (to prevent apples, pears and bananas from turning brown) and covered in the refrigerator. For causal events, or to take “to-go,” it’s fun and practical to layer the salad up in a large mason jar.
Our Favorite Seasonal Fruit Salads
Don’t miss these other fruit salads that ring in the season and elevate the everyday!
- Citrus & Feta Salad with Pomegranate Blueberry Vinaigrette: Bring some zesty zing to the holiday table with this beautiful fruit recipe featuring a sweet, sour and salty symphony of feta cheese with pomelo, grapefruit, oranges, tangerines and limes!
- Christmas Fig Salad: Deck the buffet and “gift” hungry guests with this holiday salad featuring pear, figs, pomegranate, and creamy Litehouse Simply Artisan Gorgonzola.
- Blue Cheese Crumbles and Pear Salad: Whole pears sliced crosswise are layered with blue cheese and pecans before stacking into a tower to resemble a holiday tree!
- Basil Lime Fruit Kabobs Popular at summer BBQs, but also so smart for holiday entertaining! Skewered up fruit dressed in a simple syrup made with freeze dried basil lets guests enjoy an appetizer utensil-free while mingling about.
- Fall Fruit Fennel Salad: Sweet and crisp, this easy fruit salad features the season’s finest apple and pear selections paired with a touch of fresh fennel and Poppy Seed Dressing.