The 4th of July in our home generally means a parade and a cookout with friends and family. By July 4th, the warmer temperatures have finally arrived in Vermont. Everyone is ready to spend time outside with friends and family. The grill gets dusted off and I look forward to a break from cooking when my husband fires it up. I don't totally give up cooking on the 4th of July. My husband would be happy with a plate loaded with only meat. I like a bit more variety so I take care of the extras. One of my secrets to delicious summer cooking is to add herbs. Cooking with herbs will help enhance the flavor of foods without adding salt, fat, sugar or calories. They help improve the color, taste and aroma of the foods you are cooking. You can add herbs to just about anything you are cooking from the main course to the dessert. Here are a few of my favorite ways that you can use herbs this 4th of July. For over 50 years, Litehouse Foods has been offering fresh tasting products to make entertaining easier. You will always have fresh herbs on hand when use Litehouse Instantly Fresh Herbs in your recipes. These freeze dried herbs will give you the fresh taste you love without the waste. 8 Ways to Use Herbs This 4th of July
- Add a pork chop, sliced potatoes, sliced carrots and a bit of Litehouse Instantly Fresh Oregano to a foil packet. Fold tightly to seal. Cook on prepared grill for about 30 minutes. Virtually no clean up and they are delicious!
- Nothing adds more taste to potato salad than a few snips of Litehouse Instantly Fresh Dill. Paired with red potatoes and a bit of lemon juice, it makes the perfect summer salad.
- Add a few shakes of Litehouse Instantly Fresh Jalapenos to cream cheese for a spread with a bit of a bite. Serve it along with crackers instead of sliced cheese.
- If you want a slightly different taste for your pasta salads, leave the onions out and add Litehouse Instantly Fresh Chives instead. Same great taste but it adds some color to your pasta salad.
- Grilling fresh asparagus? Marinate it in a blend of olive oil, lemon juice, Litehouse Instantly Fresh Ginger, and honey before you grill it.
- Help your deviled eggs get noticed. Add a bit of Litehouse Instantly Fresh Cilantro or dill along with the mayonnaise and mustard.
- For an Italian taste, slice cherry tomatoes in half, mix with extra virgin olive oil, Litehouse Instantly Fresh Garlic, and chunks of mozzarella cheese. Layer it on top of fresh Italian bread and place it on tin foil on the grill until heated (about 15-20 minutes).
- For a refreshing drink, add Litehouse Instantly Fresh Lemon Grass to your iced tea. Strain it out before drinking or add it to a linen bag while brewing.
Now that I've whet your appetite, how will you be using herbs when you entertain this 4th of July?