These warming scones hit all the right notes. They’re golden brown with a buttery and flaky crumb, made with Bob’s Red Mill® Organic All-Purpose Flour. Crispy maple bacon adds savory flavor to complement just-sweet-enough GloryBee® Artisan Fermented Honey. A note of spice from Litehouse® Freeze-Dried Jalapeños and Garlic, plus melty pepper jack cheese brings each bite together into the perfect on-the-go breakfast treat.
- 2 cups Bob’s Red Mill® Organic All-Purpose Flour
- 2 tablespoons Litehouse® Freeze Dried Jalapeños
- 2 tablespoons Litehouse® Freeze Dried Garlic
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons GloryBee® Artisan Fermented Honey
- ½ cup + 2 tbsp buttermilk or heavy cream, plus extra for brushing on top
- 1 egg
- ½ lb cooked maple bacon, about 4 slices, cut or crumbled into small pieces
- 1 cup grated pepper jack cheese
- ½ cup cold butter, cut into small pieces
- Flaky salt for topping
- Preheat oven to 400F. Lightly grease a baking sheet, or cover with parchment paper.
- Combine flour, Freeze Dried Jalapeños, Freeze Dried Garlic, salt and baking powder in a medium bowl.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together fermented honey, buttermilk or cream and the egg.
- Add the wet ingredient mixture, crumbled bacon, and cheese to the flour mixture. Mix gently with a spoon to moisten the dough.
- Add the cold butter pieces to the flour mixture. Using your hands, an electric mixer or a pastry cutter, work the butter into the flour. The dough should be soft and crumbly, with different sized pieces of butter. If it remains too dry, add more buttermilk or cream, 1 tablespoon at a time, until it comes together into a ball.
- Transfer the dough ball to the prepared baking sheet and press it into a round disk, ¾ of an inch thick.
- Slice the dough into 8 wedges. Separate the wedges slightly on the baking sheet. Brush with cream or buttermilk, and sprinkle each with a pinch of flaky salt.
- Bake for 18-22 minutes, until golden brown. Let cool on the baking sheet and enjoy warm or refrigerate in an airtight container. Reheat to serve!