Are you ready for something light, full flavored and much different than your everyday salad? Well, then this is the dish for you. This salad is amazing because of the halloumi cheese. Not only can you grill it but encrusting it with pecans gives it an additional flavor and texture that is amazingly unique.
- ½ red or white quinoa
- 1 cup water (use vegetable or chicken stock for more flavor)
- 1 lb halloumi cheese
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 3 eggs
- 2 tbsp milk
- 1 ½ cup pecans
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp butter
- Salt & freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 6 cups of your favorite salad greens (we like arugula or baby kale)
- ½ cup blood orange segments
- ½ pint fresh raspberries
- ½ cup Litehouse® Raspberry Vinaigrette
- Combine water and quinoa in a small pot and place on the stove. Bring to a boil, then drop to a simmer for 8-10 minutes with the lid on. Quinoa is ready when grains open and liquid is absorbed. Transfer cooked quinoa to a small sheet pan and spread out evenly to allow it to cool.
- Using a spice grinder or food processor grind pecans until finely chopped. Take care not to overdo it as the oils in the pecans will cause it to clump. Slowly pulse the nuts if possible. Set aside in a bowl.
- Whisk eggs until egg whites and yolks are blended. Add milk and whisk together. Place flour in a bowl and lightly season with salt and pepper. Cut cheese into 8 even sized strips.
- Set-up an area with the following items next to each other. Cheese strips, flour, egg & milk mixture and pecans. Using the wet-hand dry hand method dredge the cheese in the flour. Shake off excess and place in the egg mixture. Once coated evenly with egg mixture drain off excess and place into nuts. Coat evenly with nuts and set aside.
- Once cheese is breaded heat olive oil and butter over medium-high heat in a sauté pan. Once oil its hot place encrusted cheese in pan and cook until golden brown on one side. This should take a few minutes.Turn cheese over and repeat the process. Once golden brown on both sides set on paper towels to cool and drain.
- In a mixing bowl combine greens, quinoa, and orange segments. Toss gently in raspberry vinaigrette. Add fresh raspberries and gently toss. Divide salad onto 4 plates, top each salad with 2 pieces of cheese and serve.