Aligot is the ultimate cheesy mashed potato recipe blending almost equal parts cheese and potato. It's luxurious, rich, and the perfect combination of silky mashed potatoes with creamy melted cheese.
- 2 pounds Idaho® russet potatoes, peeled and quartered (about 5 medium potatoes)
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon Litehouse® freeze-dried garlic
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temp., sliced into tablespoon portions
- 1 pound fresh mozzarella cheese, cut into small cubes
- 8 ounces Gruyere cheese, grated
- 1 tablespoon salt (+ salt for cooking water)
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons Litehouse® freeze-dried chives
- Add potatoes to a large pot and cover with cold water. Add a big pinch of salt to the water. The water should taste a little salty.
- Bring to a boil over med-high heat and cook for 15 – 18 minutes, or until potatoes are easily pierced with a knife.
- While potatoes are cooking, heat cream over low heat in a small saucepot and add freeze-dried garlic to the cream.
- Drain potatoes and push through a potato ricer while still hot.
- Over low heat, stir potatoes with a wooden spoon or heat-resistant spatula for one minute to let some of the moisture evaporate.
- Stir in half of the butter, half of the cheeses and half of the warm garlic cream. Add salt and pepper. Continue stirring until cheese has melted.
- Stir in remaining butter, cream, and cheese. Stir vigorously until smooth and stretchy.
- Garnish with freeze-dried chives and serve hot.